NSP was initially called by the Valentine Police Department after they had responded to a shooting at 301 Edna Street in Valentine at approximately 7:00 p.m. The victim, Pamela Nickisch, 71, was found deceased. Her husband, Paul Nickisch, 70, and a juvenile grandson were also present at the residence.
Investigators have determined that Paul Nickisch shot Pamela Nickisch as a domestic violence situation escalated. He was arrested for murder and lodged in Cherry County Jail. A final determination on charges will be made by the Cherry County Attorney.
The Nebraska State Patrol, Valentine Police Department, Valentine Fire and Rescue, and Cherry County Attorney’s Office have all contributed to this investigation and response.
Interview with Dennis DaMoude
(CAMBRIDGE, Neb.) (February 20, 2019) – The Tri Valley Health System Board of Trustees has voted that due to numerous financial factors, it will close Cambridge Manor long-term care. The hospital, clinics, and assisted living facility will continue operating. “Tri Valley Health System has provided a wide range of senior living services for a number of years, andwe’re proud of the positive impact we’ve been able to make in the lives of residents and their families,”said Paul Shellabarger, President of the Tri Valley Health System Board of Trustees. “The economics of health care are changing, and many of these factors have brought us to the point of this difficult decision.”
McCook, Nebraska—Community Hospital has put a temporary visitor restriction in place due to the increased outbreak of influenza in the area, according to Sharon Conroy, RN, Community Hospital Infection Prevention Nurse. Staff at the hospital is asking that people do not visit patients if they have a fever of more than 100 degrees and have a cough and/or a sore throat. Those who have been sick should not visit the hospital until they have been fever-free for 24 hours without using fever reducing medication. Children under 12 will not be allowed to visit patients during this time.
Visitors should remember to wash their hands often. Coughs should be covered by using a tissue or coughing into a sleeve.
“The restriction will be lifted as soon as we see a reduction of influenza-like illness in our area. Influenza is an illness that most recover from, but for hospitalized patients influenza can have a devastating outcome,” Conroy said. Conroy added that if someone has not yet gotten their flu shot, it is not too late to get vaccinated.
Sudden onset of symptoms
Fever or feeling feverish/chills
Runny or stuffy nose
Muscle or body aches
Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.
Emergency warning signs of flu sickness in children:
Fast breathing or trouble breathing
Bluish skin color
Not drinking enough fluids
Not waking up or not interacting
Being so irritable that the child does not want to be held
Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever and worse cough
Fever with a rash
Emergency warning signs of flu sickness in adults:
Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
Severe or persistent vomiting
Flu-like symptoms that improve but then return with fever and worse cough
In addition to the signs above, get medical help right away for any infant who has any of these signs:
Being unable to eat
Has trouble breathing
Has no tears when crying
Significantly fewer wet diapers than normal
At approximately 5:44 PM on Monday, February 4th , the City of McCook Fire Department responded to a reported fire at 811 East 2 nd Street. Upon arrival of the fire department at 5:46 PM, personnel reported heavy smoke and fire coming from the rear of the structure. Two occupants were able to escape the structure by exiting the front door. Crews quickly extinguished the fire that burned up the exterior of the back of the house and into a bedroom through a window.
The fire was under control within five minutes of the arrival of the fire department and before the fire could extend further into the interior of the home.
The resident of the structure, Mr. Jonathan Scott, reported that he was in the house, along with another resident, when all of the lights went out. Mr. Scott exited the structure and went around to the back yard where a generator was located that was supplying electricity to the house. Mr. Scott found the generator and several items around it, along with the siding of the house on fire. Mr. Scott went back into the home and advised the other resident of the fire. They both began looking for their pet cats and, when the smoke became too intense, they exited the structure.
Fire damage was contained to exterior of the back of the home while there was smoke damage throughout the home. The home was valued at just over $27,000 and $15,000 for the contents. Initial damage estimates were at $10,000 on the structure and $1,000 to the contents.
Members of the fire department completed the investigation and determined that the fire started in the rear of the structure from gasoline fumes being emitted from a gas powered generator. The fumes ignited and quickly spread to nearby combustible materials and the exterior of the home itself.
The Red Cross was notified and provided the resident with assistance.
Sixteen firefighters, two pumpers, one ladder truck, one ambulance and one command vehicle were on the scene for approximately 1 ½ hours making sure the fire had not spread into the interior and clearing smoke out of the structure.
Monday, February 25 th : Cheyenne County KS (St. Francis) St. Francis Emergency Building, 125 W Hwy 36